I’m happy to announce the version 0.2 of the Umbrella Linux.
Summary of Changes:
- new “archiveworkstation” class, which works as workstation during the day, but maintains a set of system’s backups during the night.
- secure all mysql server connections via SSL by default
- network topology can now be defined via lan_topology.xml and the link/switch status will be automatically monitored with Nagios.
- “localfsworkstation” class improvements for the completely offline use case.
- configuration of trusted CAs registry via firewall.xml – a restricted set of trusted CAs, which exists in parallel with the well known CA list.
- (incomplete) initial implementation of XMPP federation with trusted systems.
- (incomplete) initial implementation of PBX (Asterisk) federation.
- (incomplete) initial implementation of Invenio host in DMZ (all the dependencies are installed and configured, but Invenio itself needs to be installed automatically).
- rewrote domain definitions in umbrella.xml, now Umbrella can be configured to host sub-domains and be a slave DNS server.
- rewrote user’s skel (initial home directory contents) handling.
- automatic maintenance of CRL for Umbrella-generated x509 certificates.
- dynamic host configuration, based on their subnet.
- rewrote physical/virtual/container detection groups.
- install memtest86+ on physical machines.
- more custom OSSEC rules to improve monitoring/reduce the level of OSSEC messages SPAM.
- numerous bugfixes and enhancements of both the system and the installer.
See the installation instructions to try Umbrella Linux yourself.